PORTFOLIO > ecclesiastical  > central presbyterian church
               
     
HOME
     
FIRM PROFILE
     
IN PROGRESS
     
CONTACT
     
         

Central Presbyterian Church
New York, New York

Built by John D. Rockefeller in 1921, the Central Presbyterian Church is located at Park Avenue and east 64th Street and is a contributing structure to the Upper East Side Historic District. In 2002, Page Ayres Cowley Architects, LLC, were retained by the Board of Trustees to assist with a report documenting water damage caused by a burst pipe on the 8th floor. The focus of the work was specifying the drying, cleaning, repair and restoration of the interior finishes damaged by excessive water saturation. A special dry cleaning process using the Façade Gommage™ was applied, combined with careful in-painting by specialist artisans that restored the artificial stone walls to their original appearance. Light fixtures were restored and re-silvered with current code compliant lamping and conduit. Electrical and mechanical systems were upgraded to code and to support the public service function of the spaces, with the priority of preserving the integrity of the existing building fabric.

 
     
Exterior Before Restoration